Tom has been in the EPCMV industry since 1995 and started with IPS in 1998. During that time, he has been 100% focused on the design and delivery of biopharmaceutical facilities from conceptual process architecture to process design studies and detailed engineering. His technical background includes process architecture, process engineering, mechanical engineering and estimating and construction management. At IPS, Tom developed the Inceptioneering™ and iCON™ products that IPS offers customers. He manages these on a day-to-day basis in addition to being an accomplished process architect for biotechnology projects. Tom is an SME of bioprocess facility design/equipment, including stainless steel, hybrid and single-use clinical and manufacturing facilities. Additionally, he has been working with clients on cell and gene therapy facilities.
- B.A.E. – Construction Management, Pennsylvania State University
- International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE)
- INTERPHEX Technology Tour Leader
- Contributor to ISPE Single-Use Applications Guide
- Piombino, Tom. “Overcoming the Challenges of Cell and Gene Therapy Facilities.” Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News, June 3, 2022.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Rapid Deployment of Manufacturing Options: An Analysis of Risks and Benefits.” BioProcess International, 05 May 2021.
- Piombino, Tom. "Mission Driven Architecture." The Medicine Maker, 21 January 2019.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Good Practice Guide: Single-Use Technology.” ISPE, November 2018.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “iCON™ - The Turnkey Facility of the Future Here Today. Are you iCON™ Ready?” Pharmaceutical Processing, IPS Technologies Tours at INTERPHEX 2018 Supplement, February 2018.
- Behrens, Sue, and Tom Piombino. “Design of Complex Biopharmaceutical Facilities: Considering Options and Alternatives.” Pharma's Almanac, 5 June 2017.
- Piombino, Tom and Sue Behrens. “Profound Implementation.” Pharmaceutical Processing, IPS Technologies Tours at INTERPHEX 2017 Supplement, 3 March 2017.
- Piombino, Tom. “I Make Fire.” Pharmaceutical Processing, Pharmapro.com, 2016 & 2017.
- Piombino, Tom. “Biotech: The New Fire.” Pharmapro.com, 7 April 2016.
- Piombino, Tom. “Clash of the Cultures.” Pharmapro.com, 7 April 2016 and Pharmaceutical Processing, 26 February 2016.
- Piombino, Tom. “INTERPHEX On Location at GE Healthcare.” YouTube Videography, 2015.
- Piombino, Tom. “Bioprocessing Facilities: New Technologies Are Driving a Deeper Understanding of the Entire Process.” INTERPHEXblog.com, 22 December 2014, INTERPHEXblog.com, 14 August 2015, and Pharmapro.com, 23 March 2015.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Single-Use (SU) Systems.” Encyclopedia of Industrial Biotechnology, 2010.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Investing in Technology to Improve Property Management, Leasing & Design.” Life Sciences Real Estate Virtual Forum. 4 May 2021.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Molecule to Market.” Series/Forum. Colliers International Accelerator Conference. 14 JAN 2020.
- Piombino, Tom. “Improving Accuracy of Estimates When Incorporating Modular & Prefabricated Components.” Advancing Prefabrication for Biopharma Facilities Conference, 3 March 2021. Virtual.
- Piombino, Tom. "Autologous vs. Allogeneic Cell Therapy Facilities: Understanding the Requirements of the "Nuture" to Shape the Attributes of Facility Design." ISPE Facility of the Future Conference, 8 February 2019, San Francisco, CA.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. "An Innovative Approach to Cell/Gene Therapy Facility Design." IPXLive Session, 2 April 2019, New York City, NY.
- Piombino, Tom. "Facility of the Nuture: Using the Requirements of the Nuture to Shape the Attributes of Biopharmaceutical Facility Design." ISPE DVC Symposium & Exhibition, May 2019, Philadelphia, PA.
- Piombino, Tom, et al. “Managing the Design of a Single-Use Facility.” PharmaEXPO, 3 November 2014, Chicago, IL.
- Piombino, Tom. “Implementing Single Use Systems in Traditional SS Facilities.” INTERPHEX, 2013, New York City, NY.
- Piombino, Tom. “Securing the Optimum Balance Between Standardization & Customization to Design With Modular & Lifecycle Adaptability in Mind.” Advancing Prefabrication for Biopharma Facilities Conference, 30 March 2021. Virtual.