Mark is responsible for all divisions within the Americas and sets vision and guidance to the overall project delivery community at IPS. In addition, Mark develops and supervises strategies, policies and operating plans of the organization and collaborates with potential partner companies. He also integrates innovation and new technologies into the IPS project delivery process.
For over three decades, he has provided leadership over the design, construction, and operations of highly complex life sciences facilities. Prior to IPS, Mark spent several years at Pfizer where he was responsible for capital projects and was a member of Pfizer’s Global Energy Team and Pfizer’s Green Building Team. Mark holds degrees in HVAC and Solar Technology from The Pennsylvania State University and a Bachelor of Science in HVAC Technology from Ferris State University where he graduated cum laude. He was awarded “Outstanding Alumni” from Penn State. He is a frequent speaker and member International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineers (ISPE), the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Mark was a contributor to the ISPE Baseline Guide for Laboratories and is a program committee member for ISPE's 2018 & 2019 Facilities of the Future Conferences.
- A.S. - HVAC and Solar Technology, The Pennsylvania State University
- B.S. - HVAC & R Technology, Ferris State University
- Certificate - Disruptive Strategy, Harvard Business School
- International Society for Pharmaceutical Engineering (ISPE)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)
- ISPE Facilities of the Future (Committee Member)
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Butler, Mark. “The Worst of Times and the Best of Times,” Pharmaceutical Engineering, August 12, 2021.
- Butler, Mark. “Seize the Benefits of Committed Collaboration,” Lab Manager, June 25, 2021.
- Mark Butler. “Radical Schedule Reduction Design and Construction Strategies.” Lab Manager Magazine, 25 June 2020
- Butler, Mark, Terry Jacobs, and Andrew A. Signore, et al. "Good Design Practices for GMP Pharmaceutical Facilities, 2nd Edition, CRC Press." 27 June 2016.
- Butler, Mark, et al. "ISPE Good Practice Guide: Quality Laboratory Facilities." ISPE, September 2012.
- Butler, Mark and Dave Goswami. “Energy Savings in Pharmaceutical Facilities: A Risk-Based Approach.” ISPE Pharmaceutical Engineering Magazine, November/December 2007.
- Butler, Mark. “Digitization and New Technologies.” ISPE Facilities of the Future Conference, 31 January 2019, San Francisco, CA
- Butler, Mark. “Cell and Gene Therapy.” ISPE Facilities of the Future Conference, 30 January 2019, San Francisco, CA.
- Butler, Mark. “Emerging and Transformational Technologies in Personalized Medicine - A Paradigm Shift”. INTERPHEX 2018, 18 April 2018, New York, NY.
- Butler, Mark. "Control Strategies and Asset Management - From Industry 4.0 to Pharma 4.0 - The Holistic Manufacturing Control Strategy." ISPE Facilities of the Future Conference, 20 February 2018, Bethesda, MD.
- Butler, Mark. "Facilities of the Future.” ISPE CASA, 10 March 2015 Raleigh, NC.
- Butler, Mark, et al. “Factory of the Future." ISPE Shanghai Conference, 17 November 2015, Shanghai, China.
- Butler, Mark, et al. "Technology Trends.” INTERPHEX, New York City, NY.
- Butler, Mark and Dave Goswami. “A Risk-Based Approach to Energy Savings in Pharmaceutical Facilities.” INTERPHEX 2009.